Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WHOOEE THIS IS GOOD...CAJUN CABBAGE!


This is a recipe that has been made in my family for as long as I can remember...I wasn't much of a fan back when I was younger but as we've all experienced with the creeping of age our tastes change, we become more adventurous with food and are sometimes amazed by the things we find ourselves eating and craving. This is so easy to make and will feed an army if you want or you can cut it down to serve just a few.
As a matter of fact I'm going to make this tonight for the evening meal 'cause it just sounds so good right now! I'm not really sure who introduced this, my Sis or my Sweet Brown Mama so, I'm just gonna let it slide without credit due. I like to pair it with some fried okra and cornbread...so good it'll make your tongue jump up and slap your brain!

Your Ingredient list

1 lb Andouille sausage sliced into 1/8 inch pieces(polish sausage will work just as well, I just like the spice!)
1 Medium white onion, course chopped
2 Cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
1/8 Cup apple cider vinegar
2 Cans original rotel
1 Medium head of cabbage cut into small to medium chunks
1 Tblsp caraway seeds
Salt/Pepper to taste

Okay, here we go. If you have a large cast iron pot this would be the time to break it out but any large stew pot will do.

Put your sausage in the pot first, then your onions and garlic let this get all nice and brown. Next you're going to use the vinegar to deglaze the pot and get all those delicious brown bits that are stuck to the bottom back into your mixture.
Now, add your cabbage, Rotel(with the liquid),and the caraway seeds. Give this all a good stir to get it well mixed toghether and cover. Let it cook on low heat for about 30 minutes (I always go and try little taste tests after about 15 minutes but thats as much because I can't wait as it is to actually check the progress of the dish lol)
Let it set for five minutes or so before serving.

You just can't go wrong with this dish served with fried okra, corn bread and a wilted lettuce salad. I hope you and your guests enjoy this as much as we do 'round these parts! Thank Y'all so much for checking in and I look forward to next time!
Kenny Ray Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment