Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Sweet Brown Mama's Fried Potatoes

Here's a recipe for some delicious fried potatoes that Sweet Brown Mama used to make for our large family. They were always a hit with us back then and they still are when I serve 'em up to my guests. I always make alot of food because I really love to entertain and my friends all know that if they happen to drop by my house around dinnertime there's always enough to go around. I tend to measure potatoe dish portions as one medium to large tater per guest and I find that usually works out well for me. In order to get fried potatoes that are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside I usually cut mine into medium irregular chunks(leaving the skin on)and par boil them for a few minutes before I fry 'em up...so, here we go!

Ingredients to serve 8-10 people
8-10 medium sized red potatoes cut into medium chunks and parboiled...leave the skin on
1 large white onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
2 medium bell peppers deseeded and cut into 1/4 inch chunks
6 slices bacon(I prefer peppered)cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/8 cup finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
salt/pepper to tast

cut up your potatoes and drop them into salted boiling water...let em go for about 5 minutes.
While your potatoes are boiling brown off your bacon. Blot the bacon on paper towels and set aside. Keep that bacon grease for later recipies.
When your potatoes are parboiled(not falling apart but tender)add them and the rest of your ingredients to a large skillet containing the cooking oil that has been preheating(preheating your oil is the secret to a good scald)
make sure you add your potatoes first then your onions and garlic and then your peppers. Salt/pepper to taste. Cook this on medium heat covered for about 15-20 minutes stirring occaisionally. Add your precooked bacon the last five minutes of cooking. Garnish with the fresh parsley and serve 'em up!
These go great with all kinds of main dishes especially the Grilled Meatloaf I told Y'all about before.
Thanks so much for stopping by and I look forward to giving everyone a little taste of the south next time!
Kenny Ray Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment